Thursday, October 27, 2011

Playing With Warm & Cool

I decided to spend the day in the studio experimenting with limited palettes and warm vs. cool. I took a composition that I've been working with of a diner scene. I completed the "full color" version a week or so ago. I like it, don't love it. I'm not totally happy with the mark making and application of the pastel. I think it's a bit tight. The scene is sort of complex for me and I think I just got too involved in detail. so I wanted to try something different, looser and more interesting.
All three of these have a watercolor under-painting, sketches have a more mono-chromatic under-painting.

Original
cool version

warmer version
I like elements of both the sketches, so I'll pursue them a bit more. I think both are more dynamic and gestural than the original, especially the cool one. I really like the drips are working to "say" the reflections. What was really terrific was that the original took me the better part of two days to complete and the cool sketch about 20 minutes!! Tells you that once you have something a bit figured out you can really play and expand in that space.

It's great to have the luxury of a bit of time to dig into things deeper than just doing a "finish" and being satisfied with it. I'm planning on taking a few more of the compositions I've done recently and "re-doing" them.

* UPCOMING WORKSHOPS *

Oct 7-9, '11, Dundee, OR email - wjdehart@comcast.net- A few spots
Oct 10, '11, Dundee, OR, Critique Day - email - wjdehart@comcast.net
Nov 4-6, '11, Austin, TX – email-art@studiozanne.com
Nov 12-13, '11, West Linn, OR – email-mbaggetta@comcast.net
Jan 20-22, '12, West Linn, OR – email-mbaggetta@comcast.net
May 21-25, '12, Bucks County PA, Bucks County Art Workshops – email www.buckscountyartworkshops.com
June 11-15, Traverse City, MI - email Debra Zamperla at idzamperla@gmail.com
Sept 17-20, ’12, Fish Creek, WI, Peninsula School of Art -  email www.peninsulaartschool.com
Sept , 25-28,’12, Cape Cod, MA
Oct 7-13, ’12, Telluride, CO,– email wjdehart@comcast.net
Oct 19-21, ’12 Bend, OR,– Cascade Fine Art Workshops email www.cascadefineartworkshops.com


2 comments:

Susan Roux said...

I like the fact that you experimented. It's such a great way to learn and improve. I love the original. It's full of light and the orange tones are so engaging. Your cool version is pretty interesting as well. For the warm one, I think a warmer yellow and warmer rose would carry the feeling better. I find the colors are closer to half cool/half warm rather than all warm. Looks like a fun experiment!

Rajeev Mohan said...

The original is lovely. The light and the movement you captured is wonderful